Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Why not roll the dice?

Since I'm not on any birth control, I basically am rolling the dice every month.  Which is 99% scary, 1% fine by me (because deep down, who doesn't want to find out they're pregnant naturally?).  This is something I battle with a lot.

Why not just roll the dice?  Well, because dice have six sides.  And HD has 2.  So, I guess I should say flipping a coin to be more true to life.  If we were to have our own children the natural way, its a 50/50 chance of passing HD on.

My period was a couple days late this month, and normally Aunt Flo is a very predictable, yet unwanted guest who visits every 28 days.  I know, TMI, but its true, and on another note, why is period talk so taboo?  Its annoying to me, and always has been.  I'm a pretty open person when it comes to bodily fluids and noises :).  Sorry!  God made me that way.

So I was a little nervous these past two days thinking what if? And even more so, because we just sent off hubby's HD info to get this process started.  So how crazy would it have been if we would have conceived naturally the month after we jumped into this whole IVF/PGD adventure?

It would not have been crazy. It would have been bad.

My mom called me on Sunday to let me know that 60 minutes was going to be showing a segment about IVF with PGD specifically.  And how they're using PGD for breast cancer, HD, and many other diseases/disorders that people do not want to pass down.  They said that they use PGD for HD a lot.

This gave me hope for our future as a world.  Knowing that people are now realizing that they can have children and not pass it on and know this 100%.  And that future generations will talk about HD in past tense.  My father had it, but my parents made sure that I wouldn't, and now my children and grandchildren do not have to worry about it.

So, I will deal with my period knowing that my body is doing what it is supposed to do, and one day I won't have to deal with it for 9 months because I'm growing a baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment